Monday, January 31, 2011

Making a Large Wet Bag

When Elias woke up this morning I realized that I was out of disposable diapers. I knew that I would need to go to the store to buy some today, so while we were waiting for our favorite bulk diaper supplier to open up I put Elias in one of his old clothe diapers. I was happy that after a couple of months of being 'off cloth', the folding and pinning came back like riding a bike. I also realized how much I missed doing cloth diapers (I know some of you probably think that I sound crazy when I say that).

Of course two months ago, when I decided to take a break from CDing I had at that time run out of disposable liners (a must have if you loath dealing with poop - - - which I do), so I decided to look them up online to re-order. While looking, 'suggestions' for other CDing items popped up, most of them being items I've never had because well, I've been broke :) For the longest time I've wanted to have a wet bag for his diapers. I've always used a pail and a plastic liner from the dollar store, and I've always hated using the plastic bag for a liner because it leaks into the pail. So while perusing the diaper pail liners I came across ones that hang off the door. After reading their info for a minute I discovered that these liners also zipped shut - OMGOSH! "You mean that I could have a chic diaper liner that didn't take a big bulky pail in the bathroom, AND it zips shut so we don't have to smell the stinkies??!?!?!" At this moment I'm pretty sure that I heard sounds of rejoicing in the back round...or maybe that was me. The downside, however, is that I could only find them for about $30 - - - and I'm still broke, so yeah, not happening. There were 'knock-off' brands of similar bags that were about half the price, but that would still mean that I would have to pay more than I wanted to - - - I'm not only broke, I'm cheap as well. Plus I was hoping to buy two bags. After washing the liner it has to air dry, so it makes sense to need two of these.

After spending about an hour checking out lots of sites I had the novel idea, "Why Audra, you have a sewing machine and you know how to use it, why don't you just MAKE a wet bag?" To which I replied, "Great idea self!" So off Elias and I went to the fabric store. I had no idea how much I would love that place, seeing how I've only been there two other times, but omgosh! I'm going to tell my hubby that from now on he should just get me gift cards for that place when he wants to buy me a present :)

With the little bit of knowledge I had just learned about wet bags and PUL material, I was excited about my new adventure! Elias was a good sport during the hour long trip (of course it isn't hard to enjoy yourself when all the ladies flirt with you, which is exactly what they always do when Elias goes out). They had ADORABLE PUL material, so I didn't have to buy an outside fabric to make the bag more attractive. After having the lady at the desk measure out and show me what a yard and a half of fabric looks like (since I didn't even know what a yard looked like, which she showed me first and I figured I'd probably need more than that), we bought 'strap' and two zippers (which are A LOT more expensive than I thought they would be). Then I asked another lady where their 'string' was, to which she replied, "We don't have string, but we have juan (or was it juel?)." I then thought to myself, "What in the world? Why would a place like this not have string?" Then after a minute of talking she realized that what I was looking for was 'thread' - go figure.
After a few more ladies had their chance to flirt with Elias, we were out the door!

It surprisingly only took me about an hour, but I made the bag!!! I'm so proud of myself! I don't want to brag in any way what so ever, because; A)I am actually amazed that it turned out, and B)I still don't know if it will hold up after a few washings. BUT STILL! It actually worked! Ok ok so enough of my jabbering, how about some pictures aye?!



3 comments:

  1. Way to go Audra!!!
    STRING?!?!?! hahahahaha you crack me up!
    I've been wanting to make a wet bag that zips and hangs from the door, too! I just haven't gotten around to it like you have ;(
    You'll have to tell me how the Joann PUL (i'm assuming it's from Joann?) holds up... You can get it super cheap with the coupons!
    One question-- shouldn't the shiny part be on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know I read somewhere that it is supposed to be on the inside, but then another couple of places said the outside. Since it is a decorated fabric, I just did it so that the pretty stuff was showing :)
    I'm gonna' write down how I made it, (I also took pictures of the process), but probably not until tomorrow or Wed. Yes it is from Joann's and they were having a sale for 50% off any one piece of regular priced fabric - pretty awesome huh?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way!!
    FYI- the best liners I've found is from divadiapers.com. grovia 200 count for around $10... they're out of stock last time i checked (the other day). First time orders get $5 off with code "diapers" (which didn't automatically work for me, I put a note in my order, and she refunded me the 5). :) They're really soft and will hold up for at least one wash, the imse-vimse liners are around the same price, and will hold up for at least 2 washes, but they're really scratchy initially...

    ReplyDelete